Re: ACI Concrete Submittals

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] We work with concrete producers every day that produce such submittals. On the one hand, more and more engineers are requesting them and, on the other, more and more concrete producers are capable of producing them.

The record that I have heard of is a guy who did submittals to the Corps of Engineers. Each mix ran over 1,000 pages, and they had to be submitted in triplicate. The guy bought paper by the pallet. (The counterpoint to that is that one time a Corps rep rejected the submittal because one break in the middle of the 1,000 page submittal was low.)

I see mix submittals all the time. My concerns are:

ACI requires the submittal to include recent test results, which may not properly reflect climatic conditions to be expected during construction. Since strengths usually go down in the summer, I would rather see a submittal with strengths from the previous summer (assuming materials remain the same).

Old aggregate information. Often we get submittals with aggregate gradings that are 1-2 years old. In most cases you are lucky to get anything from within the last month.

Also, I would rather see historical timeline charts rather than individual numbers. A single test is a snapshot that doesn't tell anything about variability and trends. Tables of numbers don't mean much until you plot them on a graph.

Jay Shilstone
The Shilstone Companies, Inc.
Dallas, TX
214-361-9681