Re: DIN 1045 Cube Strength

Paul,

The short answer is no; you can not correlate cube strength with cylinder strength.  Due to the differences in being square versus round and a different aspect ratio (height to width) there is approximately a 15 to 20 percent difference but it is not a mathematically exact number which can change depending on the mix properties (i.e. w/c ratio, cement content, etc.).

If you are dealing with acceptance criteria, you also have to be very careful as European codes tend to include the (similar equivalent) phi factor on the testing side whereas the U.S. codes apply the phi factor on the design side.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

Paul Blomberg <blomberg_az(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>

04/28/2005 07:13 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
DIN 1045 Cube Strength

I'm doing some sanity checks on climbing formwork and
only have the European permissible anchor load chart
for the formwork/scaffold connection to the concrete.
The chart references f(sub)c as the cube strength
Beta(sub)w according to DIN 1045.

Could someone in this group tell me if this value
corresponds to the f'(sub)c ultimate compressive
concrete strength we normally use in the states?

Appreciate the help!

Paul.
Phoenix, AZ