RE: BUILDING CODES: International Existing Building Code

Title: BUILDING CODES: International Existing Building Code
Thanks. Hope I didn't end up wasting my money; I really thought there was going to be more to this than it turns out. Although it will help in "due diligence," especially as the question is coming up about when and what you have to do when you're swapping out equipment and now there are seismic considerations, albeit minor ones.

From: Nels Roselund [mailto:njineer(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 10:50 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: BUILDING CODES: International Existing Building Code

Bill,

Chapter 2, Definitions, has a definition of REPAIR: the restoration to good or sound condition of any part of a building for the purpose of maintenance; no definition of FAILURE.

Chapter 3, Classification of Work, refines the definition of repair – nothing structurally helpful here.

Chapter 4, Repairs has about one page of structural requirements, mainly dealing with how to apply the IBC requirements to the repair of an existing building – no materials-specific rules; no prescriptive rules.

I don’t see anything else related to repair of structural damage or failure.