Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 10:22 AM
Subject: PT Construction

I know this is going to be a stupid question for a lot of you, but I am young and this is the first time I have seen this kind of construction actually going up.

I attached a link to a picture of a building under construction (it is not my project). It is a reinforced concrete slab supported by post tensioned beams in each direction.

The shoring is not really being removed the way I would have thought it would be based on my very limited experience with post tensioning. None of the beams have been tensioned, and the shoring has been removed from the first floor only. It was my understanding that PT beams are normally designed to balance a certain percent of the dead load, and the untensioned beams on the second floor are right now taking all the dead load on this floor plus some from the floor that is being poured at the highest level. I know there is a minimum amount of mild steel in the beams, but I wouldn't think it would be designed for this much dead load. Can anyone please explain what is going on here? What is the point of using post tensioned beams if there is enough mild steel to take all this load anyway?

Will

Get the NEW version of MSN Messenger - it's FREE! ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: http://www.seaint.org ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********