	From: bcainse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:bcainse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
	Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 3:35 PM
	To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
	Subject: Re: CODES: Evaluation Reports

	Bill-
	ERs are a way that a manufacturer can gain an approval that
there product meets the provisions of the Building Code in the view of
ICC.  A Building Official can, theoretically, refuse to accept an ER but
seldom will.  If a product doesn't have an ER, then it is up to the
design professional if s/he specifies it or the manufacturer for a
substitution (upon approval by the design professional) to demonstrate
to the satisfaction of the Building Official that the product meets the
intent of the code. If the design professional objects, it is my
experience that the Building Official will usually back the design
professional (unless, of course, the manufacturer is a large taxpayer in
the jurisdiction [LOL]).
	Regards,
	Bill Cain, S.E.
	Berkeley CA