From: Gil Brock [mailto:gil(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com]
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 6:07 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: PT Construction

Gail,

I have never, in 30 years, used multi-strand tendons in anything other than
a very heavily loaded transfer member or a bridge.

I have never used one in  a parking garage or other normal building member.
The jacks used are standard single strand jacks. If the US PT industry uses
multi-strand tendons in this type of bonded member, it is no wonder bonded
PT has never taken off there as it has in many other areas of the world.

At 12:22 AM 3/05/2005, you wrote:

>Problems with getting the beams stressed has pretty much make grouted PT
>construction a non-viable option for parking garages in this
>country.    The beam tendons in grouted one-way slab and beam construction
>are multi-strand tendons which require a special jack.  Usually, the
>stressing is done by the p-t supplier, and there are always problems with
>getting them out to the site in a timely fashion.
>
>In other countries, where it is standard construction,  grouted PT works
>fine.  Grouted pt works fine in bridges, too,  except the presentations I
>have seen on the new cable-stay bridge in Boston were not
>confidence-inspiring, as far as the quality of the inspection on
>construction of the deck.
>
>Gail Kelley

Regards  Gil Brock
Ph +61 7 3807 8022              Fax +61 7 3807 8422
email:          gil(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:          sales(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:          support(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
webpage:        http://www.raptsoftware.com