From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 10:24 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: CMU Walls on Sloping Foundation

And my guess would be that it is cheaper to step the footing than to
(hand) cut the block to the slope.

This does not even address the issue of having to resisting the sliding
force of the masonry on a sloped footing (i.e. LOTS of rebar dowels
likely
required).

But, the suggestion to ask the contractor about cost issues is a good
one.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Paul Crocker wrote:

> It doesn't seem like a great idea.  You could cut the lowest couple
layers of block (custom cut every block in those layers) so that they
could work on the slope with the other three sides of each block aligned
normally, then you could stack the rest of the wall flat on top, and
then find some way of holding them in place so they don't slide until
you grout and activate the reinforcement.  Of course, you would develop
an undesirable sliding shear force along the weak plane at the
wall/foundation interface, which would need to be resolved in some
fashion, probably with plenty of steel.  Seems like it would be easier
to step the footing, which I would expect you would want to do anyway
for the sliding/bearing issues on the footing's underside if it is that
steep.  If there was no other way, generous applications of time and
money might resolve it.  Definitely one of those issues to discuss with
the contractor, if there is one choosen for the work, to see if they
happen to have some insight or expertise that may be relevant.
Occassionally a less obvious solution turns out to be the best one if
you have a contractor that is good at it and so prices it competitively
with the more obvious choices.