From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:Bill.Polhemus(--nospam--at)tyson.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 6:32 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: CODES: Evaluation Reports

From: Suresh Acharya [mailto:struct(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 10:52 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

These are not part of the building codes unless adopted by ordinance.

I would question this statement. In my experience, it is the Building Official who makes the determination what does and what does not pass muster as far as building code compliance in his jurisdiction.

Generally speaking, a city council, e.g., who may adopt a building code, represents the legislative phase, and the building official the executive phase of government with regard to implementing the building code.

My question comes down to: Are the ERs "automatically" considered part of the Code, or are they simply a way to provide compelling evidence for the building official, greasing the skids for official acceptance?

In fact, I have played a small part in this process in Texas, since I've provided engineering calcs for a manufacturer's system (in my case, a garage door manufacturer wanted calcs to show an appropriate attachment to wood framing) that went into creating an Evaluation Report for the Texas Department of Insurance's "Building Code for Wind Design of Structures."

In that case, however, it was a far simpler process because the TDI does its own "code enforcement," and there is no local official to try to "impress."