RE: WIND AND SEISMIC LOAD FOR STABLE AND BARNS

Dave,

That depends on when you want the weight.  I hauled hay to pay for college.

1.  How is he planning on storing the hay?
Round Bale, Large Square Bale, Hand Haul Rectangular Bale.

2.  What type of hay?
Alfalfa will weigh 80 to 120 lbs per bale for the small hand bales when
first put up.  After a couple of months it will drop to 40 to 60 on the
outside bales due to moisture loss.  Clover and Prairie grass can be put up
in the same size bales at up to 140 lbs if wire tied.

Straw bales will weigh in at no more than 40 to 50 at harvest and weigh
about 30 after air drying.  Big difference based on what is being stored.

3.  How high does he plan on stacking the bales?
I've seen lofts take up to 30 bales high.  A typical bale is about 20"x20"x
appx. 3' for the hand bales and there are two sizes of round bales and two
sizes of large square bales.

Enough food for thought.  I much prefer eating the beef and riding the
horses now.

Arvel