Re: CONCRETE: "-ing" or "-ment"?

In a message dated 5/4/2005 9:34:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rhcollier(--nospam--at)winkinc.com writes:

ACI uses the term “reinforcement”, not “reinforcing”…so I suppose that must be correct(?).

Well,  ACI would be the last place I looked for examples of correct writing.  But heck, that's just me.

In a discussion with  the chairman of ACI Committee 117, I suggested he buy a high-school grammar book so he could correct the grammatical mistakes in his committee's document.  He indicated he had "neither the time nor the inclination to do so."

With respect to reinforcing/reinforcement - similar terminology issues  often come up.  For example - "prestressing" is a gerund and is used synonymously with "prestressing reinforcement".

In my personal opinion,  the term "prestressed reinforcement" is incorrect - it is the concrete, not the reinforcement, that is prestressed.  Yet, it is used quite commonly and  I don't think it has ever caused anyone to be confused.

Gail Kelley