ordinary braced frame - building frame system or bearing wall system

When do you have to use an R value for a bearing wall system instead of a building frame system for ordinary braced frames?  My understanding was that you have to use a bearing wall system R only if the braces normally carry gravity loads.  It is my understanding of the building frame system means there is steel frame that carries gravity loads by itself without the presence braces.