wood connections - load duration and moisture adjustment factors

Ref NDS for dowel-type connections

I question the appropriateness of adjusting for load
duration and moisture content if failure Mode IV
controls (which involves plastic hinging of the metal
fastener, with only limited involvement of the wood
components).  Modes IIIs and IIIm are similar.

2001 NDS para 10.2.3 prohibits use of wood adjustment
factors for other steel elements of connections;
what's different about bolts or threaded rod in Modes
III and IV?

d a v e   e v a n s