RE: ordinary braced frame - building frame system or bearing wall system

I understand what you are saying.  My point is that if the columns carry gravity load and the braces are designed only for lateral forces then you can use a building frame system. Right? The code used to say ordinary braced frames where the braces carry gravity load.

At the rate the codes are going, ordinary steel concentrically braced frames are going to be eliminated like half stresses, and timber heavy frames while most of the code change committee members are playing the slots in Las Vegas during the hearings.

From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:02 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: ordinary braced frame - building frame system or bearing wall system

Scott,

The Blue Book states "A bearing wall system is characterized by shear wall or brace frame lateral force resisting elements that carry substantial vertical loads which, if they fail, eliminate the vertical load capacity of a substantial portion of the structure and/or lead to vertical instability.  The presence of minor load bearing walls in a building that would normally be classified as a building frame system does not necessarily mean that the building should be categorized as a bearing wall system.  The reasoning is the action of a multi-storied building is not significantly influenced by the presence of minor bearing walls around a stairwell, for example."

If you have a shearwall building with a couple of isolated brace frames where the braces are not required to carry gravity load, I would use the R value for the shear wall structure for the frame design.  The difference is only a couple of percent either way.  On the other hand if you have a predominantly building frame system with a couple isolated bearing walls, per the Blue Book example, I would use the R value for a braced frame structure.