Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 4:11 PM
Subject: RE: ordinary braced frame - building frame system or bearing wall system

I understand what you are saying.  My point is that if the columns carry gravity load and the braces are designed only for lateral forces then you can use a building frame system. Right? The code used to say ordinary braced frames where the braces carry gravity load.

At the rate the codes are going, ordinary steel concentrically braced frames are going to be eliminated like half stresses, and timber heavy frames while most of the code change committee members are playing the slots in Las Vegas during the hearings.