From: Joe Grill
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 4:32 PM
Subject: single angle bending members

I am once again (or still) pondering the question of single angle bending members.  I am looking at lintels for an existing masonry wall.  I have used the LRFD equations for a 4x4x1/2 angle and compared it to a 6x4x1/2 angle per the LRFD.  Unless I am doing something wrong (and I might be at that) the 6x4 angle has less capacity in flexure than the 4x4 angle.  It just doesn?t seem right.

Has anyone found this to be the case?  Does anyone have a reference with an example that they would like to share with me, in case I am missing something in the LRFD manua?.  My texts don?t cover this aspect.  I would appreciate a fax if possible.

Thanks,

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.