RE: Special inspection and masonry allowables

You are of course correct that sound engineering
judgment should never be sacrificed.  But the
apparently deliberate removal of a required reduction
factor from the codes without closing the gap on
structures requiring inspection vs. those that don't
leaves it open to interpretation.

Furthermore, someone starting with IBC 2000 as their
introductory code might not ever be aware that masonry
allowables used to be reduced without special
inspection.  Case in point - those of us in states
that never had building codes until the IBC came
around.

Fortunately in this case, I'm used to working with
older PE design guides that do use the reduction
factor.  I'm covered for now, but should it come up in
a debate with a contractor or architect, the code
doesn't appear to be there to back us up.

Anyway, thanks for the education!  All of the comments
are very much appreciated.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA

--- "Haan, Scott M POA"