CSI Guidelines - Drawing Notes?

Title: CSI Guidelines - Drawing Notes?

Like many of you, I tend to put most all the specification information I require directly on the drawings on one or more sheets of "Structural General Notes." Over time, I have experimented with these notes, trying to come up with "boilerplate" that I can edit for each project.

I have been trying to adopt a more "rational" approach to these notes. Even though they are (unfortunately) often ignored by the contractor (by their own admission, I might add), I continue to try to protect my client and myself by formally attaching them to the drawings.

I have begun trying to adapt the CSI Masterformat to the notes' format, with limited success. In fact, it may be that I need to look for an alternate way of doing this, perhaps Uniformat or some other such thing.

I'm wondering if anyone else has given this any thought, and I also wonder if I'm trying to reinvent the wheel here. Is it possible that CSI has already come up with an elegant way to do this that I'm not aware of?

Does CSI recognize the practice of "general notes" on the drawings rather than a separate specification document?