UBC '97 -> Int'l Codes (WAS: ordinary braced frame...)

From: Christopher Haffner [mailto:chaffner(--nospam--at)gorge.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ordinary braced frame - building frame system or bearing wall system

I’ve seen the code trend too and I would say you are right in your example.  I tend to like the definitions in the Seismic Design of Buildings and Bridges by Alan Williams (pg 54).  Although it is written for the 97 UBC I doubt the basics of each system have changed much.

A bit off the stated topic (so I changed the subject line):

Is this a valid statement?

I have some of Williams' "older" publications because whenever I "got around to it" I intended to use them for study to take the SE exam.

I guess I've been under the impression that things changed A LOT between '97 UBC and the advent of the International Codes, and so figured I'd just wasted my money.

What's the actual situation? If I learn under Mr. Williams' '97 UBC books, will there be a deficit in my understanding translating to the International Codes?