From: Avicpeng [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 5:04 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: single angle bending members

In Canada this is a class 4 section in which case the strength is determined by stability of the member.  In order to assess strength you have to use a reduced section.  If you can give it lateral restraint, such as bolting to your lintel, then you might be able to use the relationships for a class 3 or 2 where yielding capacity governs.  Either way, if the upright leg is in compression, you still have to use a reduce section for the section modulus.  That might explain why the 6x4 appears to have less capacity, but I'd hazard you've made a mistake somewhere.

I can send you my last analysis of a similar situation, but it would be to Canadian standards ... ?

Thor Tandy P.Eng
Victoria, BC
Canada
vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net