RE: CSI Guidelines - Drawing Notes?

From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 9:02 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: CSI Guidelines - Drawing Notes?

On reflection, it appears that there should be _either_ general notes or

specifications, but not both.

I agree. I typically do not do both. I DO have "specification sections"
included on some of my jobs (this usually occurs in concrete
repair/strengthening projects where I actually have a submittal that
includes a report, calculations and an appendix containing spec sections
and a repair drawing or two).

But the greater number of these--even here at Tyson--are smaller
projects such as additions, repairs or isolated equipment foundations
that simply do not merit full-blown specs. For these I place rather
elaborate "General Notes" which approach the character of
specifications.

It should be noted also, that for some of the major topics such as
concrete and masonry I reference ACI 301 and ACI 503.1/ASCE 6/TMS 602
(whew! Someone needs to merge! Or kill the other guys...), which means
my "general notes" on those topics simply list "exceptions" or
explications of those standards--an ideal solution, in my opinion.

I AM NOT AGAINST SPECIFICATIONS. If I were king, we'd have to put out a
spec on every job--easily enough done once you have all your
"boilerplate" specs in order even for small jobs.

But in reality a small collection of specs on the kinds of jobs I'm
talking about here would simply be ignored or misplaced.

Pointed anecdote: On one repair project I did, I had one of my little
"submittal volumes" which represented the "contract documents" on the
project, and I had agreed with my contractor-partner that I would drop
by and get the permit.

Now, most of the pertinent information for these kinds of jobs are
actually in the specs, which tell you what is being installed and how.
The drawings are very minor in terms of the information presented; they
just say, essentially, "put that stuff here."

But the checker at the city permit office only wanted to see the
drawing. He didn't care about the pages of spec info, he just wanted to
make sure that the silly 11x17 drawing was there and had a "stamp" on it
(as they call the P.E. seal).

That's it in a microcosm. "Construction documents" == "drawings" in the
minds of the great unwashed who actually do the work, even
superintendents, building officials, etc.

Much to the dismay of CSI, I'm sure.