From: Dmitri Wright [mailto:dmitri(--nospam--at)pciengineers.com]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 10:51 AM
To: Seaint
Subject: single angle bending members

Joe,

If it is any consolation, I have designed many similar lintels.  I have
always assumed that the compression flanges were adequately braced by the
CMU and thru-bolts that I always use.  I then use the double angle strength
for the system design.  I wrote a spread sheet for ASD analysis of single
angle members a few years ago, because the equations are so tedious.  The
catch is that I only wrote it for equal leg angles, and never needed to
extend it to unequal legs (the equations are a lot worse).
For the 4x4x1/2 angle braced by the CMU, I get a bending capacity of 3000
lb-ft.  Hope this helps.

Dmitri Wright, PE
Portland, OR