RE: Large Rebar Detailing

Rich,

These bars are pretty common in 40 and 60 foot lengths.  Longer lengths can be special ordered however shipping and delivery could be a problem.  There is nothing wrong with #5 stirrups except the larger bend radius can make it harder to fit in your top and bottom longitudinal bars (another sketch to scale would be advisable).

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Rich Lewis" <seaint02(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>

05/11/2005 10:46 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: Large Rebar Detailing

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

The responses brought up a few more questions.

Do these large bars come in 40 ft. lengths?

Is it ever practical to use a #5 stirrup in a beam?  I don’t see it illustrated in the CRSI manual or the ACI Handbook.  I have 30” wide beams.

Rich Lewis