Re: intermediate ties for pedestals in pre-engineered metal build ing

Title: Re: intermediate ties for pedestals in pre-engineered metal building

        Scott,

                Have your engineer read the commentary for ACI 318 10.8.4 and 10.9.1 (limits of section and limits of reinforcement). If he can use those concepts to stretch the Code, the use of ties per the Code may not be necessary. However, I am under the impression that a PEMB column usually induces thrust on its support. This probably induces a moment into the pedestal, which is a concern for the minimum axial reinforcing of the pedestal. It also puts greater compressive force on some of the axial bars, thereby increasing their chances of buckling, which ties inhibit.

                I hate paying taxes, but ties sound like cheap insurance to me. Could bigger bars make it easier? (4) #14s provide minimum steel for 30" x 30". Using 10.8.4, (4) #10s provide minimum steel for 50% of 30" x 30". Then only one #3 tie is required at 18" c/c.

        Jim Getaz

        Winchester, Virginia