Re: Office for Students and Teachers

To be honest, I was unaware of the one restriction when I purchased the upgrade. It does restrict usage to non-business use and while I can argue this point as there is no difference in the software package between Standard Office and the Standard Office for Students and Teachers, it is stated in the EULA which I did not read in full.
I will deal with this ethically, but am a bit upset that the issue boils down to the use of the same software under different licensing terms - in other words, you are not actually purchasing the use of the software, but the terms of a contract. There is a difference in the offering of XML as an add-on tool in the Professional version, but not in the versions below this and other than the terms of the contract, nothing changes.
This brings up some interesting points that do not dismiss the interpretation of the contract. If a student publishes a paper that is then obtained and paid for in a commercial publication (for example, a student in high school recently wrote a paper for one of his classes about the indoctrination of students into the military that was then picked up by local network news and purchased for publication in a well known magazine) is this student then obligated to pay Microsoft the additional licensing fees because he or she just happened to create something of commercial value?
Where is the line drawn and why would Microsoft not take added precautions to restrict the use of the use of the software if they have the ability to do so electronically unless their intent is actually to market the software with the knowledge that they will obtain and maintain a larger market share (protection of their product) by making it easier for families to license the product?
I would tend to accept the later than the idea that they are marketing for students only or they would limit the size or feature or method of distribution (for example, for sale only to student book stores rather than commercial outlets) or even the software name (remove "Office" from the title).

The bottom line is that I did not do my homework on the licensing of this product and will have to decide what, if anything I will do about it at this time to maintain my ethical support of software licensing based not only on what is written, but what I feel is a principle of fair use rather than an attempted legal obligation.

Dennis
--

--

Dennis S. Wish, PE