Re: intermediate ties for pedestals in pre-engineered metal building

> From: "Haan, Scott M POA" <Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil>

> Do pedestals / pilasters in pre-engineered metal buildings have to meet
> ACI 318 7.10.5.3 compression member tie requirements?  Does a 30"x30"
> square pilaster with 12 vertical bars have to have ties spaced not more
> than 6" and every other bar tied?  I've done a review on a design build
> contract and no intermediate ties were provided.  The designer is arguing
> that the pilaster is lightly loaded and ties were only provided based on
> good engineering practice.  Your answer may help spend your income tax
> dollars more wisely.

Scott,
Remove the term "pre-engineered metal building" and insert "steel
structure". Now ask the question. It should not matter what kind of
structure is sitting on the concrete. Sturctural concrete does not know
the difference.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International