From: THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com [mailto:THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 11:07 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Large Rebar Detailing

Rich,

In addition to the large bend radius problem that you mentioned, here are a couple of more possible issues with large diameter bars:

1.  Lap splices can get VERY long, therefor, make sure they fit in your section (i.e. beam/column).

2.  Related to #1 above, lap splices can cause significant congestion.  In some cases, especially columns, it is best to draw a cross section to scale.  With this in mind, you may need to use mechanical couplers.  Note, however, that mechanical couplers come in many different shapes and sizes and from my experience the cheapest couplers tend to be the largest.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Rich Lewis" <seaint02(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>

05/11/2005 08:51 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

cc

Subject

Large Rebar Detailing

I am detailing some concrete beams and columns with #10 - #14 bars.  I usually don’t detail these large bars.  Are there any words of wisdom someone can share about things to consider using this size bar?  I know one thing I saw in the past is the sweep radius of large bar hooks can cause problems.  Anything else I should be sure to consider?  I do have a beam and column joint to detail.

Thanks.

Rich Lewis