RE: Large Rebar Detailing

Rich,

1.  You may want to look at ACI 12.15.3 commentary that says "Such splices need not be staggered, although such staggering is encouraged where the area of reinforcement provide is less than twice that required by the analysis".  From a practical standpoint, you may still need to stagger the splices to avoid congestion.  Some couplers, such as Bar-Lock, can be huge and really do not save you much on space.  Couplers such as the Lenton tapered threaded type are much smaller but require more field work to install.

2.  If your spliced bars are located on the inside (towards the center) then the ties should be the same as normal if I understand your question correctly.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Rich Lewis" <seaint02(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>

05/12/2005 07:11 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: Large Rebar Detailing

I have another question as I detail some column reinforcing.

1.        If I use Couplers, do they need to be staggered in a column splice?
2.        If I use lap splices, how are cross ties handled?  I have a rectangular shape column with several single cross ties.  Are the ties doubled, one for each bar in the splice?  If so, I would think couplers would be more efficient.
Thanks again.

Rich Lewis