From: Gary Hodgson & Associates [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca]
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 3:39 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: intermediate ties for pedestals in pre-engineered metal building

Scott,
I had same problem on a job--pre-eng bldg and an outside
engineer who commented on the bar spacing and ties.  The
Can code may be slightly different, but if the pedestal
or pier works as a compression member without reinforcing
then it is not a reinforced column and does not need to
meet the code requirements for a reinforced column. As
it will act in bending, you need to check it as a beam
and meet those requirements for tension and compression.
That is the explanation I received (at least my under-
standing) from a person who sat on our code committee.
Gary