Re: intermediate ties for pedestals in pre-engineered metal buildingui

In a message dated 05/12/05 9:18:18 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil writes:
The vertical reinforcement is not required for strength.  Extra vertical
reinforcement is added to meet minimum vertical reinforcement ratios.  My
question ends up being if extra bars are added to meet a minimum
reinforcement ratio do they need intermediate ties by the code even if the
vertical reinforcement is not required for strength?
What I learned from basic reinforced concrete design is that the function of the ties is to prevent the buckling of the vertical reinforcement.  Now if the vertical reinforcement is not required for strength, in what instances then that the vertical reinforcement will buckle?  Since the horizontal shear or trust will not be transferred to this pedestal, then you don't even need to strengthen the pedestal to resist shear.  In my opinion, you don't need intermediate ties. The minimum ties are sufficient.  The pedestal is basically an extension of your footing since it is not subjected to large compression loads.

ASQuilala, P.E.