Re: Lightweight yet stiff fill ?

Rallph

In a message dated 5/12/05 10:25:18 AM, T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net writes:
I am working on a project where there is going to be an addition to an existing penthouse. The existing roof is concrete slab over metal joists. The new slab will be at least 6 inches above the existing roof slab and may be as much as 12 inches above at the low part of the roof. Due to the loading, I don’t want to fill the entire space with concrete. I would rather use a thin slab (4” lightweight; 3,000 psi w/#3 @ 15” E.W. or something close to that) over some lightweight material. My concern is the stiffness, of course. The use is residential, so there will not be any heavy loads on the slab, but I do not want the slab to “settle” too much. My first thought was pearlite or vermiculite, but I don’t know if either is stiff enough.