From: Walter Sawruk [mailto:wcsawruk05(--nospam--at)comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 1:52 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: structural rope vs strand

Candi,

Take a look at ASCE 19-96 "Structural Applications of Steel Cables for
Buildings".
Strand is made up of multiple wires.
Rope is made up of multiple strands.

Wire rope is what is used for hoists - it's more flexible than strand
for
bending around drums, ...etc.
Strand is commonly used as 'guy wires' such as you can see on utility
poles.

Walt Sawruk
ABS Consulting
Shillington, PA