Re: Lightweight yet stiff fill ?

Bill,

You might want to contact Cell-Crete Corporation (626)357-3500, you might be able to use styrofoam (polystyrene) under the structural slab, possibly elastizell (20 psf to 120 psf) for the fill with a structural concrete topping. You might be able able to eliminate the metal deck and pour the structural slab directly over the elastizell.  You could design the 4" slab to span as a simple beam between concrete curbs downward every 10 - 12 feet each way that would provide shear transfer of the concrete mass to the existing slab.  Perlite, Vermiculite do not function at all well if you are thinking of using them as the final wearing surface, they need to be protected by a wearing surface.  Elastizell has been used for a lot of fill applications.

Mike Cochran