However, with a short term uncracked deflection of about 50mm, I would not even worry about calculating the cracking and long term effects. The slab is not pushing the limits, it is way past them.

You can use any arguments you like about the slab never being loaded etc but the end result is that you have presumably been contracted to provide a design to the local design rules which normally requires deflection checks for the design loads. That is what the client is paying for.

Hope your insurance is paid up and there is no clause in it voiding the cover because you deliberately ignored standard design procedures and logic.

At 10:16 AM 13/05/2005, you wrote:
Gil,

I know the 8" slab is mathematically pushed to its limits for the span in terms of serviceability and strength by calculations. Long-term deflection is a complicated thing and I am not a die-hard believer of the formulas. But I am interested to know the practical results of any similar applications.

You raised a valid concern about vibration. Theoretically the slab system has a frequency of around 3 Hz. However, being a dormitory building floor slab, there are many non-structural partition walls running floor-to-floor height and the vibration will be greatly mitigated.

Ben Z, P.E.

----- Original Message -----
From: Gil Brock
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: 33-ft simple span slab

Ben,

I would be very worried about deflections, vibrations and everything else. It is too thin. Do the calculations.

At 06:18 AM 13/05/2005, you wrote:
I am pondering on using  8" composite slab (3" pre-tensioned plank with 5" topping) for a 33-ft simple span floor slab in a dormitory building.  The plank will be shored at mid span before topping. My only concern is the long-term deflection. Has any one had similar experience?

Thank you

Ben Z, P.E.

Regards  Gil Brock
Ph +61 7 3807 8022               Fax +61 7 3807 8422
email:            gil(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:            sales(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:            support(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
webpage:          http://www.raptsoftware.com