Re: 33-ft simple span slab

Only the 3" precast slab is pretensioned, not the whole slab. Is there 2" precamber in it?

Everything built on the floor will experience the full deflection as the precamber is only a visual thing.

You must be putting in a lot of strand to stop cracking under service load for this slab to keep it uncracked. The service stress from the gravity loads is going to be in the order of 2200psi tension (if I have converted 15 - 16MPa correctly). So you need about 12-13MPa (about 1800-1900psi) of precompression plus bending stress in the 3" slab from the prestress. Are the strands placed at minimum cover to the bottom of the 3" slab or placed concentric? If concentric there is no precamber and I would be worried about it snapping in half if they are very eccentric at this level of compression.

At 01:19 PM 13/05/2005, you wrote:
Gil,

I have no problem justifying it by calculations in meeting building code. What haunts me is the long-term serviceability. Keep in mind the slab is pretensioned and I don't expect any cracking under service load. The 50mm immediate deflection you mentioned will be probably canceled out by the upward prestressing camber.

Ben

----- Original Message -----
From: Gil Brock
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: 33-ft simple span slab

Ben,

I am not a believer in the approximate methods in the codes for deflection calculations either because they are grossly inaccurate and not conservatively so in many cases. But I am a believer in proper deflection calculations which allow for cracking and long term effects logically as our software does, not simply as fudge factors.

However, with a short term uncracked deflection of about 50mm, I would not even worry about calculating the cracking and long term effects. The slab is not pushing the limits, it is way past them.

You can use any arguments you like about the slab never being loaded etc but the end result is that you have presumably been contracted to provide a design to the local design rules which normally requires deflection checks for the design loads. That is what the client is paying for.

Hope your insurance is paid up and there is no clause in it voiding the cover because you deliberately ignored standard design procedures and logic.