RE: UBC Live Load Reduction

Well....I'd have to politely say I disagree with the plan reviewer's comment.  If it supports more than 150 sf of live load, I see no reason why live load reduction would not apply.

>>> T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net 05/13/05 9:45 AM >>>
Before this gets into a plan checker or plan check consultant bashing
thread, the volume and the quality of the comments in general are, IMO,
reasonable; they might even be *light*, but don't tell him that. In this
particular instance, I do not have the impression that he is trying to a.)
justify the billing hours, b.) jealous of me (what's to be jealous of
anyway?) or c.) trying to prove that he's smarter than me (that would be too
easy).

I'm just looking for a code interpretation because I don't recall seeing a
comment like this before.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers
http://www.AllenDesigns.com
V (949) 248-8588	 .	 F (949) 209-2509

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Grinstead [mailto:Gary.Grinstead(--nospam--at)ci.stockton.ca.us]
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 9:36 AM
To: dfisher(--nospam--at)fpse.com; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: UBC Live Load Reduction

David,
   Bill mentioned this was an outside plancheck consultant.  I've always
suspected they create needless comments to justify their existence.  I never
minded a good thorough plancheck as it's another set of eyes to perhaps spot
something I may have overlooked.  However the one thing I can't stand is
when the majority of the comments don't require a change in the plans.

>>> dfisher(--nospam--at)fpse.com 05/13/05 9:28 AM >>>
Gary:

Possibly:

1)	He has a comment sheet to try and fill up...
	Or
2)	hours to bill?
	Or
3)	He's jealous...

With exception to Scott and all the other fine plan reviewers on this list:

(who are exempted 	from these comments...)

"Those who can, design; those who cannot, are plan examiners"

(I better go hide...)

David L. Fisher  SE  PE
Senior Principal
Fisher + Partners Structural Engineers inc
372 West Ontario
Chicago 60610

312.573.1701
312.573.1726 fax