Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 9:03 AM
Subject: UBC Live Load Reduction

O.K., I realize I haven?t worked with the building code for very long (tongue firmly planted in cheek), but I recently received a set of plan check comments including one that has caught me off guard.

The plan check comment is as follows: ?The live load reduction shall not apply to the footing design.? I called the plan reviewer (outside consultant) to find out the section of the code which states this and he told me section 1607.4 and 1607.6. I scanned these two sections during our telephone conversation and still could not find where it said that I could not take a live load reduction for the footing design. He told me that the referenced sections stipulate live load reduction for beams and, since it does not specifically permit a live load reduction for footings, no reduction can be made. I hung up (politely) almost in shock and read the referenced sections again. I know I?m not a good reader (otherwise I would be an attorney), but the sections read (to me) ?structural members?, not ?beams?. I thought a footing was a ?structural member?, but if not, why did he not cite columns as well?

Anyone else have an interpretation?

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

http://www.AllenDesigns.com

V (949) 248-8588