Re: 33-ft simple span slab

I've been following this thread, and i'd like to offer
my thoughts, if I may...

I just worked on a project where we ended up using
hollow core precast planks (12" ltwt, I believe...)
with a 3-1/2" n.w. fill.  That spanned about 38' clr.,
and was designed for office/clerical spaces, so 50psf
+ 20psf partition + add'l 10psf for misc. DL.  (The
corridor loading was at one end of the plank, so shear
was okay.)  That was pushed to the limit for
deflection, even with the planks cast with up-camber.
The n.w. topping slab was needed to have adequate
cover and strength for shear transfer.

I think another thing to consider with the 3" plank is
when you have the HVAC/mech'l contractor come in to
attach the duct work...  All of those PAF may or may
not hit a prestressing strand, but it likely
accelerate the cracking in the planks.  Well, logic
tends to lean that way...

David Topete, SE
SF, CA