Timber Prestressing Qestion

Rhkratzse wrote:

Nice way to talk about a client!    :)

In a message dated 5/12/05 7:00:44 PM, mailbox(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com writes:
>=20
> Think creep.

Good one, Ralph.

Steve Gordin is right--creep will be an issue.  So will buckling about
the nice joint you're trying to make.  So will the ungodly connection
you'll need to make at each end to anchor the strands.

Yet another issue with timber construction is its low dead load.  By the
time you put enough eccentric prestress into it to allow it to hold its
design live load, the dead load may not be adequate to keep it from
blowing up.

CCanitz, I know you probably don't have the luxury of saying it quite
like this, but if your client knows so much, tell him to go ahead
without you.  Suggest he at least butter the ends with epoxy to get good
bearing at the butt joint, because those plates aren't going to do much
for him.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota