From: Haan, Scott M POA [mailto:Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil]
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 11:26 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: FEMA 350 continuity plates and panel zone thickness

Anyone:

I don’t have an errata for FEMA 350.  FEMA 350 3.3.3.2 formula (3-7) appears to be for a beam framing into one side of a moment frame column.  AISC LRFD 2nd ed Figure C-K1.3 shows calculating panel zone shear by adding forces from moments on either side of the column and subtracting the story shear.  Formula 3-7 does not appear to cancel out the story shear or add the additional shear from a second beam on the other side of a column.  Are people using this formula (3-7) to check required panel zone thickness when there are beams framing into both sides of moment frame columns?

Also FEMA 350 3.3.3.1 tells you to use continuity plates that conform to K1.9 of the LRFD specification. My question is that if the full plastic moment goes through beam flanges then does the continuity plate need to be thicker than the beam flange?  It would seem if you were trying to transmit the full plastic moment through a beam flange with weld access holes the maximum force that could be transmitted would be the area of the beam flange times the yield stress. This is less then the plastic strength of the beam. Is this right?  I have a 97 UBC Seismic Design of Buildings and Bridges book that shows designing continuity plates for just the beam flange area times the yield stress. Should the continuity plates be designed for the beam flange area times the yield stress?

Scott M Haan