From: Jordan Truesdell, PE <seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tue May 17 12:53:14 2005
Subject: Re: Wight of Boxed Materials

Not to be too off the cuff, but a ream of paper weighs about 5lb, and is
8.5x11x2(+/-), which works out to 45-50PCF.  I've seen file boxes
stacked 6 high without any special storage racks (yes, the bottom ones
tended to crush).  That's 6 x 8.5/12 * 50 = 213psf.  All bets are off if
you've got a storage system which allows higher stacking (ie 4 shelf
unit with two boxes per shelf. Naturally, there'll be space for walking.
If you figure the tightest you can reasonably get, I'd say 50% of floor
space could be used for stoage if it's stacked carefully. Then add an
occupant load for the remaining space, though you might want to double
check the floor for the times they decide to "temporarily" stack then in
the walkways.