From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:bill.polhemus(--nospam--at)tyson.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 4:14 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: SEISMIC: Roof Supported Equipment

Because you evil Left-Coasters have foisted this upon us, I now have to
foray into the "dark side" of structural engineering, calculating seismic
forces.

My untutored brain does register grudging respect that the ICC (in reality,
many of you SEAOCers) have done a creditable job digesting all this NEHRP
stuff for me, but I'm still agog at the sheerness of the learning curve.

Anyway, I've got a situation that would be a no-brainer if it were just a
building. But instead, I've got some rather massive equpment sitting on a
steel platform which in turn is place on the ROOF of an existing building,
and I want to determine what the effect of this will be.

Again, it will probably turn out to be nothing, but I'm undecided enough
about it that I know I have to make the effort.

So instead of just a building with a site factor involved, I've got a
building with a site factor, and then the equipment on top of that. Surely
the building will act as a sort of giant energy absorber for the equipment
such that the equipment seismic effect will be much diminished.

The building is a single (high-bay) story, all precast concrete.

Do I do this as a Two DOF system?

What would YOU do?

solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee,
then you have received this email in error and any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
Please notify us immediately of your unintended receipt by reply and then
delete this email and your reply. Tyson Foods, Inc. and its subsidiaries and
affiliates will not be held liable to any person resulting from the
unintended or unauthorized use of any information contained in this email or
as a result of any additions or deletions of information originally
contained in this email.