From: Eli Grassley [mailto:elig(--nospam--at)psm-engineers.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 6:37 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: SEISMIC: Roof Supported Equipment

If you are confident that the weight of the additional equipment is just a drop in the bucket as far as the overall building structure is concerned, then you really only need to design the attachments of the new equipment to the existing (refer to ASCE7-02, section 9.1.2.2).

If you meet the criteria, just use ASCE equation 9.6.1.3-1 to get the amplified lateral force that acts on the equipment at the connection elevation.