Re: PEMB / Masonry expansion joints

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] What is your displacement for? If its for wind/seismic, then the building should meet the requirements for the masonry veneer (L/600), not the other way around. Masonry and PEMBs are a recipe for disaster, and I always try and make my clients aware that they are using incompatible building system requriements. I don't know of a PEMB which is designed to L/600, but I know lots of them which use CMU walls. My drawings always indicate an L/600 requirement if masonry veneer is used. After that it's hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. Heck, the IRC lets you put 10' 2x4 studs behind brick (okay, technically, I haven't found a provision prohibiting it).

The veneer is not a strucutral component (lateral or gravity), so I usually don't push it too hard after I've explained the potential problems. I don't recommend more than 3' of CMU above the finished slab in most cases.

Note: if it's for thermal expansion/contraction (since you're using H, I'm assuming its not), then yes, the joists should accomodate the movement.

Jim Wilson wrote:

If a metal building is designed to H/100 lateral
displacement, is it appropriate to size the vertical
expansion joints in the masonry facade at the
building's corners for an equal amount of movement?

For example, 20ft tall building, masonry walls to 12ft
tall.  Lateral displacement = 2.4" at roof level,
1.44" at top of masonry.  Expansion joints in masonry
should provide for 1.5"(1.44") lateral movement.

This seems obvious, but is there anything else to it
that I am missing?

TIA,
Jim Wilson
Stroudsburg, PA