From: "Bruce Holcomb" <bholcomb(--nospam--at)brpae.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Wood design values for old structure
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:38:39 -0500

We are looking at a building built about 100 years ago in SW Missouri
and are wondering what strength values we can use to analyze the wood
framing.  There is a lot of Oak in this area, so the framing may be Oak
(that was once somewhat common), but other likely species we might
encounter would be Doug-Fir, Southern Pine, D-F-L and S-P-F.  Does
anybody have any values for old wood we can use for analyzing the
joists, beams, studs and columns in this old structure?

Bruce D. Holcomb, PE, SE

Structural Engineer & Vice President

Butler, Rosenbury & Partners

319 North Main, Suite 200