Re: PEMB / Masonry expansion joints

> From: Jim Wilson <wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
>
> If a metal building is designed to H/100 lateral
> displacement, is it appropriate to size the vertical
> expansion joints in the masonry facade at the
> building's corners for an equal amount of movement?

In most PEMBs there will be diagonal bracing which will provide more
stiffness than h/100 at the corners (endwalls and sidewalls). Get the
real numbers for the corner location (x and z direction) from the
designer. Redundancy in the completed structure will usually reduce the
value provided by the designer.

> 1.44" at top of masonry.  Expansion joints in masonry
> should provide for 1.5"(1.44") lateral movement.
>
> This seems obvious, but is there anything else to it
> that I am missing?

The 1.44" in the return direction.

Also, parallel to the wall, steel moves and masonry doesn't
(relatively). Be sure that your connections can handle the in-plane
shear load or allow the movement.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International