Re: You are a PE and don’t know the answer?

I would expect the free ends to buckle, not the inside corner. It has nothing to do with "knowing" the equations or physics, but from growing up near farms, where such element are used as stiffeners. They don't buckle "backwards" unless you load them eccentrically. Before you question the knowledge of another engineer on this topic, I suggest you consider this: can you design a connection which when assembled in the field will load and angle concentrally along it's Z axis? (The answer is written backwards at the bottom of this email...don't peek)
joraljim(--nospam--at)prtc.net wrote:
I’m part of a 6 structural engineers on my office. I asking to them the next
question: if a single angle member is axially loaded in its longitudinal axis
until the buckling starts, the buckling occurs about the z-axis, but toward
what direction? At the intersection of the legs, or at the opposite side? Four
of the six did not find answer to my question, as usually occurs with some
conceptual questions. They obtained his PE with exams other than structural.
You are a PE and don’t know the answer?

Jorge Jimenez, SE

This message was sent using http://webmail.coqui.net

(on :rewsnA)