Pipe connections

Gentlemen,
I have detailed some box culverts with premanufactured concrete pipes grouted into place at the walls.  The plan checker is asking that I specify the maximum cantilever length for the pipes as this connection is rigid, or provide rubber boot fittings.  Are the maximum cantilever lengths dependent on the pipe manufacturer, or are these pipes fabricated to strict public works guidlines?  I've never used the rubber boot option.  Is that connection more common?  Thanks.

Mark Pemberton, S.E.
Pemberton Engineering
Davis, CA