Re: Void Forms under Grade Beams

If void forms are used, where does the 1500 psf of uplift come from?  I can see the soils engineer wanting to cover himself (i.e. use void forms but design the grade beam "just in case") but I'm with you, it's an "either or" thing.

>>> gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com 05/24/05 11:33 AM >>>
I have a soils engineer requiring me to design grade beams for a pier
and grade beam residential foundation for an uplift of 1500 psf. He is
also requiring void forms underneath the grade beams.. I thought this
was an either or type of thing, not both. It's a 1 story house and this
will easily govern the design.

Any input appreciated.

-gm
SSF, CA