Also, have your geotech review your final design and write you a letter saying that it's ok.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates

At 12:28 PM 5/24/2005, Gerard Madden, SE wrote:
Thanks to all. What he is now saying is that I need to design the piers for an uplift skin friction of 1500 psf on the upper four feet of the piers only. This seems way too high to me, since the downward skin friction is only 450 psf?.

He backed down for the dual requirements, but initially told me I had to design the piers for the uplift on the grade beams even if I used the void forms. Now he wants me to design for a 25 kip uplift from 4 feet of skin friction???? I questioned this too and he?s researching?.

*head a shakin*

-gm

-----Original Message-----
From: Arvel L. Williams, P.E. [mailto:awilliams(--nospam--at)gwsquared.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 12:18 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Void Forms under Grade Beams

Grade beams on void boxes - No Uplift unless tied to floor.

Uplift on piers - yes through skin friction, need to account for this in the design and steel in pier.  Geotech should give you active zone (depth) and uplift force per unit area.

Note:  If you bell the piers then the tensile stresses are likely to control the steel percentage.

Arvel