Re: stainless steel cable

On May 25, 2005, at 10:29 AM, gskwy(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

Kids can also fall out of open windows.  Do you believe that none of the windows in a building should open.  Kids can also fall off porch railings.  Do you want to abolish all porches?
All good questions. You should also be asking whether thoughtlessness should carry a death or dismemberment penalty.

I've done a fair amount of expert testimony, but I absolutely hate cases involving injury to children. A recurring theme is injury to farm kids hanging around equipment with exposed shafting or pinch points. My first reaction is usually that the parent ought to be publicly horsewhipped--probably not much different than Gail's opinion. Then I look at some cobbled up mess of a design and hear all the excuses and whining for why the machine couldn't be designed any other way (implying 'any other way without going to some trouble') and I think maybe the designer ought to be horsewhipped, too. But horsewhipping and excuses and the litany of 'kids are thoughtless, farms are dangerous, we can't afford to take responsibility,' don't help an kid's foot grow back. If a designer can make things safer they should do so; it may not cure everything, but it can help. And if it can help even a little it's worth it.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/